- Travel ranges from 100 μm to 600 μm available
- Long device lifetime
- High-precision, frictionless flexure guidance system
- Superior positioning resolution and linearity to 0.007% with direct-metrology capacitive sensor options
- Mounting compatibility with other QNP-series piezo nanopositioners
- Open-loop and vacuum versions
Aerotech’s QNP™-series of piezo nanopositioning stages offers nanometer-level performance in a compact, high-stiffness package. A variety of travel (100 μm to 600 μm) and feedback options make this the ideal solution for applications ranging from microscopy to optics alignment.
High Quality in a Compact PackageThe QNP piezo stages are guided by precision flexures that are optimized using finite element analysis to ensure high-stiffness and long device life. The resulting design offers outstanding stiffness and resonant frequency enabling high process throughput and fast closed-loop response. Furthermore, the integrated XY package minimizes stage stack height and moving mass, resulting in superior static and dynamic multi-axis performance.
High-Resolution and Positioning Accuracy
All of the QNP piezo stages have the option of closed-loop feedback using a unique capacitive sensor design that allows for sub-nanometer resolution and high linearity. The capacitive sensors measure the output of the positioning carriage directly, enabling superior accuracy and repeatability.
When coupled with Aerotech’s Q-series controllers and drives, the QNP piezo nanopositioning stages demonstrate sub-nanometer positioning resolution and in-position stability (jitter), and high-positioning bandwidth. Software options such as Aerotech’s Dynamic Controls Toolbox and Motion Designer packages provide a host of advanced yet easy-to-use tools such as Learning Control, Harmonic Cancellation, and Command Shaping, providing improved tracking errors and faster step-and-settle times.
Automatic parameter and calibration identification is accomplished using Aerotech’s FlashConfig feature. The stage is automatically identified and all operational parameters including axis calibration data are uploaded into the controller ensuring safe, accurate and true “plug-and-play” operation.
Learn more about our controls and software HERE.
Aerotech’s QNP piezo stages are available with capacitance sensor feedback or without feedback (open-loop). Open-loop provides a cost-effective option for applications where compact size, high-dynamics, and sub-nanometer positioning resolution are required, but absolute positioning accuracy and repeatability are not required. Open-loop designs can also be used where the piezo position is controlled via an external feedback source (interferometer, vision system, photodetector, etc.).
An optional mounting plate provides direct mounting to English or metric breadboard optical tables. The QNP-series also includes the -L and -Z stages in which common travels mount together with adapter plates.
All QNP piezo stages are available in vacuum-prepared versions upon request.
|Closed-Loop Travel||100 µm||250 µm||500 µm|
|Open-Loop Travel, -30 to +150 V(1)||120 µm||300 µm||600 µm|
|Resolution(2)||Closed-Loop||0.30 nm||0.50 nm||0.90 nm|
|Open-Loop||0.15 nm||0.20 nm||0.40 nm|
|Bidirectional Repeatability(5)||2 nm||2 nm||5 nm|
|Pitch/Yaw||6 µrad (1.2 arc sec)||6 µrad (1.2 arc sec)||12 µrad (2.5 arc sec)|
|Stiffness (Direction of Motion)(6)||1.05 N/µm||0.36 N/µm||0.24 N/µm|
|Unloaded Resonant Frequency(6)||Top Axis||885 Hz||445 Hz||315 Hz|
|Bottom Axis||635 Hz||295 Hz||200 Hz|
(50 gram load)(6)
|Top Axis||495 Hz||305 Hz||240 Hz|
|Bottom Axis||335 Hz||240 Hz||170 Hz|
(In Direction of Motion)(7)
|10 N||10 N||10 N|
|Max Payload(8)||1 kg||1 kg||1 kg|
|Stage Mass||0.11 kg||0.17 kg||0.27 kg|
|MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure)||30,000 Hours|
- Value ±10%.
- See Piezo Engineering Reference section 4.2 for description of resolution.
- Certified with each stage (closed-loop feedback models only).
- Measured approximately 15 mm above the carriage by an external metrology device. See Piezo Engineering Reference section 4.1 for description of linearity specifications.
- Specified as a 1 sigma (standard deviation) value (closed-loop feedback models only). See Piezo Engineering Reference section 4.3 for description of bidirectional repeatability.
- Values ±20%.
- See Piezo Engineering Reference section 4.6 for description of piezo stage load ratings.
- On-axis loading listed.
- External elements are anodized aluminum. Some stainless steel components are used in the internal construction. Other materials upon request.
- Specifications are measured centered and at a height of approximately 15 mm above the output carriage.
|Drive System||Piezo Multi-Layer Stack Actuator|
|Feedback||Closed Loop: Capacitive Sensor (-C)
Open Loop: None (-)
|Voltage Range||-30 V to +150 V|
|Piezo Stack Capacitance(1)||1.6 µF||2.3 µF||6.4 µF|
1. Value ±20%
1. Unless noted, the QLAB, QDe, or QLe drives are required to achieve the listed specifications. Contact Aerotech for specifications when used with the QL drives.
QNP-XY Series Two-Axis Piezo Nanopositioning Stage
|QNP-40-100XY||QNP-XY series open-loop nanopositioner, 40 mm wide, 120 μm x 120 μm open-loop travel|
|QNP-40-100XY-C||QNP-XY series closed-loop nanopositioner with capacitive sensor feedback, 40 mm wide, 100 μm x 100 μm closed-loop travel (120 μm x 120 μm open-loop travel)|
|QNP-50-250XY||QNP-XY series open-loop nanopositioner, 50 mm wide, 300 μm x 300 μm open-loop travel|
|QNP-50-250XY-C||QNP-XY series closed-loop nanopositioner with capacitive sensor feedback, 50 mm wide, 250 μm x 250 μm closed-loop travel (300 μm x 300 μm open-loop travel)|
|QNP-60-500XY||QNP-XY series open-loop nanopositioner, 60mm wide, 600 μm x 600 μm open-loop travel|
|QNP-60-500XY-C||QNP-XY series closed-loop nanopositioner with capacitive sensor feedback, 60 mm wide, 500 μm x 500 μm closed-loop travel (600 μm x 600 μm open-loop travel)|
Mounting Plate (Optional)
|-MP||Mounting plate for English and metric optical breadboard tables|